In my early twenties, my skin started to act up. I’d frequently get clogged pores, and would always have at least 1 spot on my skin. When I was 27, my skin was the worst it has ever been, as I was prescribed some medicine which interfered with my hormones. I was left with acne all over my forehead, cheeks and chin. It took a long time for the effects of the medicine to flush out of my system. (This picture shows my forehead when I was 27, and now)
Now, 4 years later, my skin is probably the clearest it has ever been (knock wood!). Here are the top 5 things that have led to this transformation.
5. Sticking to my cleansing routine – I currently wash my face in the morning, and deep cleanse it at night. To prevent myself skipping my deep cleansing session because I’m too tired, I’ve started washing my face earlier in the night. This ensures my skin is clear every night, and there are no clogged pores – therefore, less spots.
4. Changing pillowcases frequently – I noticed that there were more blemishes on the side of my face that I sleep on, so I’ve started changing my pillowcase every 1-2 nights. This is especially helpful because I use Castor Oil in my hair twice a week – and I don’t want oil residue ending up on my face. I keep spare pillowcases in my pajama drawer, so that it is quick and easy to change the case.
3. Burts Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser – There are a lot of followers of the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) which claims that oil is more effective at cleaning out blocked pores than soaps. Furthermore, OCM doesn’t strip your skin of its natural oils, thus preventing over production of in response to cleansing. (You can read more about OCM here). I personally don’t have the patience to follow the full OCM method, but this Burts Bees cleanser uses Orange Oil – which allows me to enjoy some of the benefits of OCM.
2. Avalon Organics Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum – I’ve been using this product for around 2 months. This serum has tightened my pores (I have few, if any blackheads now!) and given my skin an airbrushed finish. I think it has also prevented spots from forming and lightened any existing acne scars. This truly is a wonder product, and nearly made it to first place. Also, I love that it is organic, so I don’t feel guilty about adding yet another product to my skin care regimen.
1. Clarisonic Classic Skin Cleansing System – I use the Clarisonic once a day (at night-time) to deep clean my pores and ensure that all make-up has been removed. It is an expensive product, but it delivers on its promises. I’ve been using this for a year now, and I’m amazed at the difference it has made.
..thank you so much for this post..Im 28 and last 6 months have been hell for my skin..I will try your products..
Sorry to hear that! It is such a long process finding the right combination of products for your skin…I hope that something here can help you 🙂 I've found a couple more good tips – will do a post about that soon – I realised how indispensable my Burts Bees Tomato Toner was – I switched toners, and got clogged pores! Had do switch back right away!