I’ve always thought hair extensions were really complicated and hard-to-use. But I’ve learned so much through beauty blogging – from ‘how to wing eyeliner’ to ‘applying fake eyelashes’, so I was up for a new challenge. And surprisingly, wearing clip-in hair extensions was MUCH easier than I thought!
|Jacket: c/o Romwe / Tank: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Bandolino (similar) / Bag: Rebecca Minkoff|
Irresistible Me generously offered to send me 100% natural Remy human hair clip-in extensions – definitely an offer I couldn’t refuse! Of course, I’m still a hair extension newbie – but I thought I’d share the tips I’ve picked up so far.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT CLIP-IN HAIR EXTENSIONS:
- Length – Most hair stylists I spoke with recommended using hair extensions no more than 2 inches longer than your natural length. But let’s be honest – I wanted Kardashian-style hair – so I chose 18 inches.
- Weight – the weight depends on how much hair is used per extension – the thicker the hair, the heavier the extension. If you have fine/thin hair, pick a lighter weight. For a super-thick, super-long look, choose a heavier weight. Irresistible Me extensions range from 100g to 260g. I chose 140g because I wanted my extensions to blend in easily with my fine hair, but I probably could have gotten away with 200g.
- Color – finding the correct color can be tricky – especially if you have highlighted hair like I do! I would recommend looking at pictures and watching videos to make sure you choose the right shade (I chose Chocolate Brown). Irresistible Me packages their hair with a tester piece, so you can check if it’s a color match before opening the main package. As long as the seal isn’t broken, you can exchange the unopened extensions for a different color. With human-hair extensions, you can always ask your colorist to highlight/dye them to match your hair.
|Unboxing my extensions|
HOW TO APPLY HAIR EXTENSIONS:
The extensions arrive in a variety of wefts – from large 4-clip pieces to tiny 1-clip strands. For a dramatic look, you can use ALL the clips, but because I was going for an everyday look, I only used 4 pieces out of the set (one 4-clip, one 3-clip and two 2-clips).
GENERAL THOUGHTS & TIPS:
- The main focus when applying hair extensions is to make sure they
blend in well with your real hair…I don’t think I’ve mastered this step
yet! Because most my of my hair is one length, there is an extra
thickness where my real hair ends. Next time I’ll use more of the extension pieces and curl my hair more to help disguise the difference in length.
- I loosely curled my hair after applying the extensions – but I’ve heard that many people curl their hair and their extensions separately before clipping them in together- I’ll be trying this next time!
- I found the clips held perfectly, without any slipping at all. If you wanted to be super-cautious, you could always tease and hairspray the section of real hair that you clip your extension to.
- I’d definitely recommend
customizing how many wefts you use. Mine were so light that after a while – I couldn’t even feel them. I was surprised to learn that many people use extensions for daily wear – they add in a couple of clips for added volume and to make their curls last longer.
Have you ever worn hair extensions? Please share any tips!
Linking up with More Pieces of Me and Sincerely Jenna Marie
Found your blog on the Hello Monday Linkup. Long hair looks beautiful on you! 🙂
Thank you Cara!
This seems so easy! I love how it blends so well with your natural hair!-KarenLadyinViolet.com
Thanks Karen – I was surprised by how easy it was!
Looks amazing on you. I bought a set from them last year and had been enjoying it (until I chopped my hair off). Have a wonderful week ahead!
So glad you had a great experience with them too – am going to look through your earlier photos to see what they looked like!
These extensions look great on you and I love your step by step tutorial! (Oh, and of course I love your outfit with that cami and jeans!) Gina || On the Daily Express
Thanks Gina – glad you liked the tutorial – it was a bit tricky taking the photos – luckily hubby helped me out!
Your hair looks gorgeous!
The longer hair suits you. Thanks for the tips on applying the extensions.Alicia | Between the Pearls
Thanks Alicia – so glad you liked the tips – I wanted to put everything I learned in one place for easy reference LOL!
They look great! I have never tried extensions!www.amemoryofus.com
Thanks Darcy – they're definitely fun to dress up with once in a while 🙂
I've always been back + forth about hair extensions, so I love reading about what others have to say about them. They worked great for you it seemed..you look fabulous! & I love those heels. x Nicole | http://www.changeanddress.com
Thanks Nicole – so glad you enjoyed reading my post! I never thought I'd wear hair extensions, but I'm SO glad I gave them a try 🙂
You look beautiful with and without extensions!
Thanks Noelle! Not going to lie – wearing extensions made me want to grow my real hair out a bit – it's fun having long hair…although it's much easier clipping it in LOL!
zeba, these seem easier to apply than fake lashes! lol. i think you look beautiful with and without, but like how the extensions add another dimension! xoxo,janna | jannadoan.com