This past weekend my local drugstore “Shoppers Drug Mart” had a points redemption event. If you used $75 worth of points, you’d get an extra $25. Since this was like “free money” I decided to treat myself to some make-up. Here’s what I bought:
1) Revlon Colourburst Lipstick in Soft Rose – I’ve had this item on my wishlist ever since I read that it is similar to Chanel’s Coco Rouge in Mademoiselle and Dolce Vita gloss by NARS. I love the quilted packaging and smooth application of this product. It’s a bit more colourful than my usual comfort zone – but with a gold gloss over it, I think I’ll enjoy wearing it.
2) Benefit Gilded pencil – Gilded has been discontinued – but this store had some leftover stock on display. Since it is an HG item for me, I purchased a back up – yay! I love using this pencil to highlight my cheekbones, cupid’s bow, nose bridge and brow bone. (They also had some leftover Mr Frosty pencils as well – but I prefer Eye Bright, so I didn’t pick it up)
3) Benefit Lipgloss in I’m With The Band – the name sounds familiar – but I can’t remember where I’ve heard/read about it. I was immediately drawn to this peach/pink shade with gold reflects. It looks AMAZING on – and has great lasting power. Loving it so far!
4) Benefit Big Beautiful Eyes kit – I was drawn in by the first 2 eyeshadow shades – both are shimmery neutrals with pinky tones.They swatched beautifully on my hand – but I was horribly disappointed when I got home and tried it on my eyes. The shades appeared chalky – definitely not suitable for NC35 skin like mine! They also didn’t have much lasting power. I went to the store to return it – and picked up the next 4 items in exchange for it! I was so happy – I hate keeping make-up that I will not use.
5) CoverGirl Simply Ageless Sculpting Blush in Lush Berry – I love this item. I first heard about it on this Youtube video by Meganheartsmakeup – she compares it to MAC’s Blushcreme in Ladyblush. (On a sidenote – I really like Megan’s channel – yes, she’s only 14(!!!), but she has some of the most usable hair and make-up tips on youtube – especially if you like wearing natural-looking make-up). I’ve used this already and love it. It applies easily, looks very natural and lasts a long time. Unlike some cream blushes, it works perfectly on its own – no need to set it with powder blush. I’m really tempted to try the concealer from this range – as it incorporates Olay’s eye cream (which I love).
L’Oreal Extra Volume Collagen Waterproof Mascara – I picked this up for our Summer holiday. Our destination will be very humid, so I want to make sure my mascara is smudge-proof. I’ve tried the regular version – and liked how smoothly it applied – but it didn’t do anything special to my lashes. I’m hoping that this extra-volume formulation will be more dramatic.
Soap & Glory Girligo Body Moisturizing Mist – With all the summer heat, I don’t feel like using my body butter after I shower – it’s too heavy. This fragrant mist lightly moisturizes and highlights – it makes my skin so soft! I’ve been wanting to try the Soap & Glory range for a while – since it was founded by the creator of Bliss – but is so much more affordable.
Soap & Glory Flake Away Body Scrub_ When I got to the counter with my purchases, the lovely assistant doing my exchange told me that I should pick up one more item – and I’d get a $10 food gift card (so basically – I was getting one item for free). I chose this scrub because it looks soooo good and smells lovely. However, I have a St Ives Apricot Scrub I want to finish before I open this product – so it may be a while before I review it.
So that is all my free make-up – basically $110 worth of products, and I only had to pay the taxes…what a great result for using the drugstore point card!